Summary: TORRE CERRANO is one of the ANCIENT COSTAL TOWERS of the KINGDOM of NAPLES; located on the ADRIATIC COAST, between SILVI MARINA and PINETO stands out clearly on the horizon on a small hill behind the beach, surrounded by a clump of tall pine trees, in an environment of rare beauty. The small FORT derivates its name from the name of a torrent – Cerrano torrent, indeed. Cerano torrent was the ancient harbour of Atri and a port of call for many ships carrying cereals from Apulia and Sicily (even TODAY, SWIMMING in front of the tower with a simple mask, you can SEE the SUBMERGED REMAINS of the ANCIENT PORT).
Torre Cerrano is one of the ancient coastal towers of the Kingdom of Naples; located on the Adriatic coast between Silvi Marina and Pineto and stands out clearly on the horizon on a small hill behind the beach, surrounded by a clump of tall pine trees, in an environment of rare beauty.
The fortalice derives its name from that of the torrent. Cerrano torrent is situated in Silvi, 500 metres south of Torre Cerrano. It flows among the hills of Atri and has ancient springs. According to historians Strabone and Sorricchio, the mouth of the torrent was the ancient harbour of Atri and a port of call for many ships carrying cereals from Apulia and Sicily (even today, swimming in front of the tower with a simple mask, you can see the submerged remains of the ancient port). Torre Cerrano has been used for many decades to sight ships. An alarm was given from the very top of the guard tower and allowed the military garrisons, always present on the premises, to warn the near military strongholds who, at their turn, warned other ones. In this way, everybody along the cost could be ready in advance to force back the Saracens and the Turks to the inhabited centers of the area . Imposing trees of Pinus halepensis of about eighty years old form a pinewood, today reduced to few specimens. There are specimens of Laurus nobilis, Quercus Ilex, Phoenix Canarensis, Pittosporum tobira, Ligustrum japonicum, Tamarix gallica and many more. Furthermore, the provincial administration created a botanical garden in 1983 on the northern side of the tower, with an area of about 5000 square meters where numerous arboreal and shrub nubs were collocated. The ground level of the tower as we may see it today, dates back to 1568 and was built under Alfonso Salazar during the Spanish kingdom of Naples, even though the work was made on the ruins of a pre-existing tower that had been already restored in 1287. The upper levels and the sides of the tower has been added more recently. Actually they were build last century by the families who had used it before it became heritage site of the province of Teramo in 1983. Today the tower is the head office of the Centre of Marine Biology.